قديم 10-21-2012, 09:07 AM
المشاركة 47
ايوب صابر
مراقب عام سابقا

اوسمتي

• غير موجود
افتراضي
توماس ستيرنز إليوت

(بالإنكليزية: Thomas Stearns Eliot) شاعر ومسرحي وناقد أدبي حائزٌ على جائزة نوبل في الأدب في 1948. وُلد في 26 سبتمبر 1888 وتوفي 4 يناير 1965. كتب قصائد: أغنية حب جي. ألفرد بروفروك، الأرض اليباب، الرجال الجوف، أربعاء الرماد، والرباعيات الأربع. من مسرحياته: جريمة في الكاتدرائية وحفلة كوكتيل. كما أنه كاتب مقالة "التقليد والموهبة الفردية". وُلد إليوت في الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية وانتقل إلى المملكة المتحدة في 1914، ثم أصبح أحد الرعايا البريطانيين في 1927.

شعر إليوت

بالنسبة لشاعر في مثل مكانته، فإن إنتاج إليوت الشعري كان قليلاً. وعى إليوت ذلك مبكراً في مسيرته، فكتب إلى جيه. إتش. وودز أحد أساتذته السابقين في هارفرد: "سمعتي في لندن مبنية على قليلٍ من الأبيات، ويصونها طباعة قصيدتين أو ثلاث في السنة. الشيء الوحيد المهم أن هذه القصائد ينبغي أن تكون كاملة وفريدة من نوعها، بحيث تصبح كُل واحدةٍ منها حدثاً بحد ذاتها".

بشكل تقليدي نشر إليوت قصائده الأولى في الدوريات وفي كتيبات ومطويات تحتوي قصيدة واحدة (على سبيل المثال: قصائد آرييل)، ومن ثم أضافها إلى المجموعات الشعرية. كانت مجموعته الشعرية الأولى: بروفروك وملاحظات أخرى (1917). في 1920، نشر إليوت مزيداً من القصائد في Ara Vos Prec (لندن) وقصائد:1920 (نيويورك). كانت هذه نفس القصائد - بترتيب مختلف - عدا أن "أغنية" في الطبعة الإنكليزي قد استبدلت بقصيدة "هستيريا" في الطبعة الأمريكية. في 1925، جمع إليوت الأرض اليباب وقصائد أخرى في بروفروك وقصائد في مجلد واحدٍ وأضافه إلى الرجال الجوف ليكون قصائد: 1909 - 1925. ومن ثم حدث عمله كقصائد مجموعة. وكانت الاستثناءات:
  • اختراعات الأرنب السائر: 1909–1917 (نشر بعد وفاته 1997), مقاطع ومسودات لم ينو إليوت نشرها. شرحها كريستوفر ريكس.
الأرض اليباب

في أكتوبر 1922، نشر إليوت الأرض اليباب The Waste Land في المعيار. كُتبت القصيدة في فترة انهيار زواج إليوت، وغالباً ما تُقرأ القصيدة باعتبارها تمثيلاً لزوال وهم جيل ما بعد الحرب العالمية الأولى. حتى قبل أن تُنشر الأرض اليباب في كتاب (ديسمبر 1922)، أبعد إليوت نفسه عن رؤية القصيدة اليائسة: "فيما يتعلق بالأرض اليباب، هذا شيء من الماضي كما أعتقد، وأشعر الآن برغبةٍ في تجربة أسلوبٍ جديد". هذه القصيدة تعتبر من أهم وأصعب القصائد في تاريخ الادب الإنكليزي والعالمي وذلك لعدة أسباب أهمها الاعتماد على عشرات الاعمال الادبية الأخرى مثل اعمال شكسبير والحالة النفسية الفريدة التي تعبر عنها القصيدة ومن الجدير با الذكر ان هذه القصيدة تحتوي على ابيات بعدة لغات منهاالفرنسية والألمانية والأسبانية و الهندية.

Thomas Stearns Eliot OM (September 26, 1888 – January 4, 1965) was a publisher, playwright, literary and social critic and "arguably the most important English-language poet of the 20th century." Although he was born an American, he moved to the United Kingdom in 1914 (at age 25) and was naturalised as a British subject in 1927 at age 39.
The poem that made his name, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock—started in 1910 and published in Chicago in 1915—is seen as a masterpiece of the Modernist movement, and was followed by some of the best-known poems in the English language, including Gerontion (1920), The Waste Land (1922), The Hollow Men (1925), Ash Wednesday (1930), and Four Quartets (1945).[ He is also known for his seven plays, particularly Murder in the Cathedral (1935). He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1948.

Early life and education
Eliot was born into the Eliot family, a middle class family originally from New England, who had moved to St. Louis, Missouri. His father, Henry Ware Eliot (1843–1919), was a successful businessman, president and treasurer of the Hydraulic-Press Brick Company in St. Louis.

His mother, Charlotte Champe Stearns (1843–1929), wrote poetry and was a social worker, a new profession in the early twentieth century.
-Eliot was the last of six surviving children; his parents were both 44 years old when he was born.
His four sisters were between eleven and nineteen years older;
his brother was eight years older. Known to family and friends as Tom, he was the namesake of his maternal grandfather Thomas Stearns.

Several factors are responsible for Eliot's infatuation with literature during his childhood.
First, Eliot had to overcome physical limitations as a child. Struggling from a congenital double hernia, a condition in which one’s intestines jut through the bowel wall and causes an abdominal rupture, Eliot was unable to participate in many physical activities and thus was prevented from interacting socially with his peers.

As Eliot was often isolated, his love of literature developed. Once he learned to read, the young boy immediately became obsessed with books and was completely absorbed in tales depicting savages, the Wild West, or Mark Twain’s thrill-seeking Tom Sawyer. In his memoir of T.S. Eliot, Eliot’s friend Robert Sencourt comments that young Eliot “would often curl up in the window-seat behind an enormous book, setting the drug of dreams against the pain of living.” Secondly, Eliot also credited his hometown with seeding his literary vision: "It is self-evident that St. Louis affected me more deeply than any other environment has ever done. I feel that there is something in having passed one's childhood beside the big river, which is incommunicable to those people who have not. I consider myself fortunate to have been born here, rather than in Boston, or New York, or London." Thus, from the onset, literature was an essential part of Eliot's childhood and both his disability and location influenced him.

From 1898 to 1905, Eliot attended Smith Academy, where his studies included Latin, Ancient Greek, French, and German. He began to write poetry when he was fourteen under the influence of Edward Fitzgerald's Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, a translation of the poetry of Omar Khayyam. He said the results were gloomy and despairing, and he destroyed them. His first poem published, "A Fable For Feasters," was written as a school exercise and was published in the Smith Academy Record in February 1905. Also published there in April 1905 was his oldest surviving poem in manuscript, an untitled lyric, later revised and reprinted as "Song" in The Harvard Advocate, Harvard University's student magazine.[12] He also published three short stories in 1905, "Birds of Prey," "A Tale of a Whale" and "The Man Who Was King." The last mentioned story significantly reflects his exploration of Igorot Village while visiting the 1904 World's Fair of St. Louis.[13][14] Such a link with primitive people importantly antedates his anthropological studies at Harvard.[15]
Following graduation, Eliot attended Milton Academy in Massachusetts for a preparatory year, where he met Scofield Thayer, who would later publish The Waste Land. He studied philosophy at Harvard College from 1906 to 1909, earning his bachelor's degree after three years, instead of the usual four.[4] Frank Kermode writes that the most important moment of Eliot's undergraduate career was in 1908, when he discovered Arthur Symons's The Symbolist Movement in Literature (1899). This introduced him to Jules Laforgue, Arthur Rimbaud, and Paul Verlaine. Without Verlaine, Eliot wrote, he might never have heard of Tristan Corbière and his book Les amours jaunes, a work that affected the course of Eliot's life. The Harvard Advocate published some of his poems, and he became lifelong friends with Conrad Aiken, the American novelist.
After working as a philosophy assistant at Harvard from 1909 to 1910, Eliot moved to Paris, where from 1910 to 1911, he studied philosophy at the Sorbonne. He attended lectures by Henri Bergson and read poetry with Alain-Fournier.[4][16] From 1911 to 1914, he was back at Harvard studying Indian philosophy and Sanskrit.[4][17] Eliot was awarded a scholarship to Merton College, Oxford in 1914. He first visited Marburg, Germany, where he planned to take a summer program, but when the First World War broke out, he went to Oxford instead. At the time, so many American students attended Merton that the Junior Common Room proposed a motion "that this society abhors the Americanization of Oxford." It was defeated by two votes, after Eliot reminded the students how much they owed American culture.[18]
Eliot wrote to Conrad Aiken on New Year's Eve 1914: "I hate university towns and university people, who are the same everywhere, with pregnant wives, sprawling children, many books and hideous pictures on the walls ... Oxford is very pretty, but I don't like to be dead."[18] Escaping Oxford, Eliot actually spent much of his time in London. This city had a monumental and life-altering impact on Eliot for multiple reasons, the most significant of which was his introduction to the acclaimed literary figure Ezra Pound. A connection through Aiken resulted in an arranged meeting and on September 22, 1914, Eliot paid a visit to Pound’s flat. Pound instantly deemed Eliot “worth watching” and was imperative to Eliot’s beginning career as a poet as he is credited with promoting Eliot through social events and literary gatherings. Thus, according to biographer John Worthen, during his time in England Eliot “was seeing as little of Oxford as possible. He was instead spending long periods of time in London, in the company of Ezra Pound and "some of the modern artists whom the war has so far spared . . . . It was Pound who helped most, introducing him everywhere.”[19] In the end, Eliot did not settle at Merton, and left after a year. In 1915 he taught English at Birkbeck, University of London.
By 1916, he had completed a doctoral dissertation for Harvard on Knowledge and Experience in the Philosophy of F. H. Bradley, but he failed to return for the viva voce exam.[4][20]
[edit] Marriage

In a letter to Aiken late in December, 1914, Eliot, aged 26, wrote, "I am very dependent upon women (I mean female society)." Less than four months later, Thayer introduced Eliot to Vivienne Haigh-Wood, a Cambridge governess. They were married at Hampstead Register Office on June 26, 1915.[After a short visit alone to his family in the United States, Eliot returned to London and took several teaching jobs, such as lecturing at Birkbeck College, University of London. The philosopher Bertrand Russell took an interest in Vivienne while the newlyweds stayed in his flat. Some scholars have suggested that she and Russell had an affair, but the allegations were never confirmed.

The marriage was markedly unhappy, in part because of Vivienne's health issues. In a letter addressed to Ezra Pound, she covers an extensive list of her symptoms, which included a habitually high temperature, fatigue, insomnia, migraines, and colitis. This, coupled with apparent mental instability, meant that she was often sent away by Eliot and her doctors for extended periods of time in the hope of improving her health, and as time went on, he became increasingly more detached from her. Their relationship became the subject of a 1984 play Tom and Viv, which in 1994 was adapted as a film.
In a private paper written in his sixties, Eliot confessed: "I came to persuade myself that I was in love with Vivienne simply because I wanted to burn my boats and commit myself to staying in England. And she persuaded herself (also under the influence of [Ezra] Pound) that she would save the poet by keeping him in England. To her, the marriage brought no happiness. To me, it brought the state of mind out of which came The Waste Land.

مأزوم بسبب مشاكلة الصحية والتي تركته معاقا وغير قادر على الحركة، وقد تركتة وحيدا معزولا عن الاخرين من اقرانه. كان الاصغر بين اخوته وكان عمر والديه عندما ولد 44 سنة. وكان اخاه يكبره بسبع سنوات. ثم مأزوم بسبب مرض زوجته العقلي.

مأزوم.